Sunday, May 11, 2014

Poetic Lausanne


Lausanne is a nice city very close to Geneva so we can be there whenever we want. Last time I visited it 3 months ago with my friends (see this post). This month I took my mum to see the Olympic city. Thanks to her interest in arts and literature I got to know many interesting facts about polish poets that lived there too. Juliusz Słowacki, Adam Mickiewicz, Stefan Żeromski, Zofia Nałkowska... Being curious about their works, I read a couple of Lyrics of Lausanne wrote by Adam Mickiewicz. I quote my favourite one (I can see Lausanne with my eyes of imagination when I read it).

 Nad wodą wielką i czystą                      
Stały rzędami opoki                               
I woda tonią przejrzystą                         
Odbiła twarze ich czarne.                      

 Nad wodą wielką i czystą                       
Przebiegły czarne obłoki                      
I woda tonią przejrzystą                        
Odbiła kształty ich marne.

 Nad wodą wielką i czystą
Błysnęło wzdłuż i grom ryknął
I woda tonią przejrzystą
Odbiła światło, głos zniknął.
A woda, jak dawniej czysta,
Stoi wielka i przejrzysta.

 Tę wodę widzę dokoła
I wszystko wiernie odbijam,
I dumne opoki czoła,
I błyskawice pomijam.

 Skałom trzeba stać i grozić,
Obłokom deszcze przewozić,
Błyskawicom grzmieć i ginąć:
Mnie płynąć, płynąć — i płynąć!...
 Lausanne, 1838.

 
/English version here/

Here are a couple of photos I took by the lake side that in my opinion illustrate well this poem...




But it's not only the lake water that delighted the poets... Just a quick glance at the city is enough to win your heart. I'm pretty sure we will visit this place a couple of times more.




No comments:

Post a Comment